Friday, May 7, 2010

Hasty Haircut

Todd was free Tuesday afternoon. My hair was pretty long (for me) and my favorite hair lady is by appointment only, and about 30 minutes away. Not easy to schedule with the boys. Anyway, there's a new, nice place just down the road that I ran to as a walk-in that afternoon. Can you guess where this is going?...

I asked the receptionist if they require an appointment. She assigned me a hairdresser that was available. We went back to her station and I tried to describe what I wanted. She just agreed. Didn't say much. Washed, started cutting, then I started to realize that this woman DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH! Seriously, she only spoke very broken English. She was primarily Spanish-speaking and obviously had no comprehension of my description of what I wanted or anything else I tried to say.

The cut was nothing like what I asked for, except for the approximate length. In fact, it looked just like the cut I had when I was 10 years old, only poofier!

Is it unreasonable to expect that, in a profession that is dependent on clear communication and understanding, it would better serve the customer if the employee could speak and understand the customer's language; especially if it is English... In America!?

In the end, I scheduled an appointment with my regular hairdresser, didn't leave the house for 3 days, and finally got it fixed today. I paid for 2 haircuts in one week, but I learned my lesson. I'm considering writing a letter to the first place about this, but don't want to come across as hateful or prejudice, which is not how I feel or want to be.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: